A folding wheelchair is convenient for storage and transport.
A folding wheelchair
is convenient for storage and transport. It can easily fit in the trunk of your car or in a small closet.
In order to fold a manual wheelchair, follow these steps:
- Fold the footplates into a vertical position.
- Grab the front and back edge of the seat with both hands and lift up.
OR Tilt the wheelchair to one side and lift up on the seat rail.
- If the wheelchair includes handles on the seat rails, use the handle closest to you to lift up the seat.
- Pull the sides of the frame together until the wheelchair is fully closed.
- Make sure to keep your hands and fingers clear of any moving parts.
The wheelchair is now ready for storage or transport. You can easily push the wheelchair while it is in the folded position.
In order to unfold a wheelchair, follow these steps:
- Tilt the chair slightly to one side.
- Place your hand on the seat rail closest to you, with your fingers and thumb pointing to the inside of the wheelchair.
- Push down on one or both seat rails until the wheelchair frame is fully opened and secure.
- Fully engage both wheel locks before allowing the user to sit or transfer into the wheelchair.
- Swing away or remove the leg riggings as needed to make it easier to sit down in the wheelchair.
- Swing away or remove the armrests for easier transfers.
Be aware of your posture as you fold or unfold the wheelchair, making sure not to strain your back. Also use proper posture when lifting or removing the wheelchair from a vehicle or trunk.
Tags: Folding Wheelchair, Manual Wheelchair